The benefits of massage during pregnancy.
For many mums to be, craving some pampering during pregnancy, especially massage, can seem to be something that a new mum may think that she needs to wait until baby is born, before this can happen. Many new mums to be, are unaware of the benefits of massage during pregnancy, or believe any massage during pregnancy isn’t safe, so therefor overlook themselves, and continue throughout the pregnancy without having any treatment.
Some of the benefits of having a massage while pregnant are:
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Muscular tension can be reduced, which can help to reduce the pain that is often felt within the muscular system, bringing fresh nutrients to the tissues, and eliminating waste.
- Due to the added weight gain, the ligaments and joints come under pressure to stabilize the body, massage can help restore postural balance helping with range of motion in the joints.
- Increased levels of the “feel-good” hormones serotonin and dopamine
- Improved sleep
- Promote the physiological response of relaxation.
- Regular massage during the third trimester, can help to ease labour pains during birth
Becoming a parent is a very exciting time, and pregnancy to some parents,can seem to appear a very long time waiting for that little person to make his or her entrance. Some mums can feel as though they are on an emotional roller-coaster, and this again is where massage can be hugely beneficial. Massage can lift mums mood, to enable her to become uplifted and welcome changes that will take place during pregnancy both physically and emotionally.
Pregnancy massage treatments as a rule are no longer than 60 minutes, and during this time, the client is positioned specifically to accommodate the abdomen, however, different positions can be used throughout the treatment to enable mum to be to reach maximum relaxation.
We use a plain soya bean carrier oil for the entirety of the treatment, which has wonderful benefits for the skin. However, if the clinic is advised during the clients consultation that there is an intolerance to soya bean, then a different carrier oils will be used.
From time to time, the clinic will be required to obtain a clients GP’s written consent before any treatment is given. This maybe due to any previous complications during past pregnancy’s or due to one or more a medical condition(s). Either way, once we have received written medical approval, treatment will go ahead.
If you are interested in receiving massage treatments during pregnancy, or would like further information before committing to any sessions with the clinic, please contact the clinic direct on 0121 647 7146, and we will be pleased to help answer any queries or concerns that you may have.